Salted caramel fudge
- 150ml full fat milk
- 1 tin of condensed milk 397g
- 450g light brown sugar
- 115g margarine or butter
- Optional ingredients example chocolate chips, sea salt, vanilla etc
- Measure all ingredients out and place into a large heavy-bottomed saucepan ( I used a jam making pan but have used nonstick pans before as well)
- Slowly stir over a low heat until all the margarine or butter has melted and the sugar has dissolved
- Continue stirring until it starts to boil, at this point, the mixture will grow in volume and might bubble or spit – so be careful!!!!
- Continue stirring and heat up to softball on a sugar thermometer
- Remove from the heat and let cool slightly. This is the time to add any extra ingredients (I did half sea salt and half with white chocolate buttons)
- Once a little cooler you can beat with a spoon in the pan or like I did pour onto a marble/granite pastry board and stir on the table to remove heat
- Keep stirring until it stiffens and holds shape
- At this point, you can either keep on the marble, which I normally do or if you beat it in the pan spread into a lined tray
- Leave to cool and set completely before cutting into bite-size pieces and enjoying!